The graduate in VALORIZATION AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT OF MOUNTAIN AREAS is a specialist in the enhancement and sustainable development of mountain areas who operates using innovative and specific scientific and technological methods and approaches with particular reference to the analysis, monitoring, conservation, management and enhancement of natural and agro-forestry resources (e.g. analysis and monitoring of mountain ecosystems, planning of forestry and silvicultural restoration and conservation actions, protection and production functions including ecosystem services; collaboration in defining natural resource management plans, enhancing agrobiodiversity, etc.). The graduate will be able to collaborate in the design, implementation and promotion of unique products and/or services of economic and/or social value deriving from the environmental and agroforestry resources of the mountain territory (e.g. planning and coordinating interdisciplinary interventions for the tourist/recreational and educational use of the territory; enhance and promote the use of energy from renewable sources, with specific reference to local sources and the forest-wood-energy supply chain; collaborate in defining processes for enhancing traditional and innovative local products, etc.). The graduate can use their training for the identification of business strategies and resource enhancement in relation to specific governance and development policies and regulations, participation in the management of projects for the enhancement and development of the mountain territory in the context of local, regional and national programs, and European and international cooperation. The graduate can apply digital technologies and communication methods to networking, strategic marketing and scientific dissemination of environmental resources and products and services of mountain areas.
Additionally, graduates will have the ability to understand and interpret the specific legal, administrative and socio-economic cultural framework of these territories, to understand dynamic phenomena related to change (climatic and demographic), within the context of the planning of interventions allowing ecological and digital transitions for the definition of new models of sustainable development.
The graduate is able to:
- recognize the specific environmental, natural and agro-forestry resources of the mountains and the ecosystem services connected to them;
- evaluate the evolution and effects of climatic and anthropogenic factors on the natural and agro-forestry components of the environment, the main impacts and adaptation and/or mitigation strategies;
- recognize and safeguard biodiversity heritage using specific intervention programs, including didactic-educational actions, with particular reference to agro-biodiversity;
- apply scientific, technological and economic knowledge to collaborate in the promotion of processes for enhancing traditional and/or innovative products from raw materials (bio-resources, agrobiodiversity) from natural and mountain agro-forest ecosystems, interacting with specialists from different sectors in multidisciplinary working groups;
- identify calls for regional, national and European funding programs for the development of mountain areas and collaborate in the design and management of systemic enhancement and development interventions;
- use territorial information systems and the most innovative technological tools for territorial monitoring, management and planning, also for the purposes of tourism and energy enhancement;
- apply specific knowledge about the economic and cultural environment in which companies and public and private subjects operate, identifying appropriate strategies for enhancing resources, additionally to support decision-making processes in governance, in the planning of interventions for territorial development and enhancement products/services;
- apply specific knowledge regarding the juridical-legislative framework from which policies, strategies, programs and regulations relating to the sustainable development of mountain territories are derived, for the planning of sustainable development interventions and technical support for managing the complexity of these areas;
- work in interdisciplinary and international groups;
- apply economic and marketing knowledge to working processes for territorial development (territorial marketing);
- apply specific technical knowledge to collaborate with professionals from sectors specializing in promoting the use of energy from local renewable sources, combining methods of assessing economic sustainability with methods of quantifying environmental impacts;
- apply knowledge related to the use of digital technologies and communication tools for networking and effective interaction with service and innovation centres, strategic marketing and technical-scientific training and dissemination.
Professional opportunities include entrepreneurial activities, or as a freelance consultant or employee with coordination and responsibility roles in private or public, national or international companies in strategic sectors for the mountain economy, such as environmental, environmental tourism, agro-forestry, energy and project management for the development of mountain areas at:
- technical-professional firms and consultancy and design companies for the enhancement and development of the territory;
- forestry companies and consortia;
- local action groups - LAGs;
- territorial and tourism promotion consortia;
- syndicates of agricultural producers;
- trade associations;
- parks and protected areas;
- Municipalities, consortia and unions of Municipalities, Mountain Communities, Provinces, Regions, Ministries;
- developmental agencies;
- foundations and NGOs;
- training and dissemination bodies and companies;
- research and development bodies;
Graduates can carry out freelance activities as a Doctor in Agronomy and Forestry, and after passing the state exam and enrolment they can access recruitment contests for positions as officials of the former State Forestry Corps and other Environmental Policing Corps, pursue a research doctorate in Italy or abroad, or a second level master's degree.
The professional profile covers the following categories:
Agronomists and Foresters; Planners, landscape architects and specialists in the reclamation and conservation of the territory; Researchers and technicians with degrees in agricultural, zootechnical and animal production sciences; Editors of technical journals.Employment statistics (Almalaurea)